Senior Design Engineer
Posted: 27th April 2022
Key Results Area
- Lead the technical development and engineering design of MAATS equipment. Ensure that designs function within the acceptable safety levels, are delivered on time, to the budget and to the right quality criteria.
- Mentor and coach junior engineers to assist them in the development of the technical solution and ensure adherence to Engineering process.
- Define, manage and control equipment interfaces.
- Develop design detail in line with the Engineering process to ensure that the equipment development is in accordance with the schedule.
- Provide a 1st line point of contact with the external draughting resources during the detailing phase to ensure efficient delivery of design drawings.
- Provide a 1st line point of contact with the fabricators during manufacturing to ensure that queries are closed out within the shortest possible timeframe.
- Provide a 1st line point of contact with the internal FEA Define load cases and query results where applicable.
- Provide a 1st line point of contact with the internal and external control teams. Review and query proposals where applicable.
- Quality control and internal auditing of the design development within the Project team, thus ensuring that the project delivers to the expected standards.
- Support the Project Manager as required to assist the customer. Provide accurate and timely forecasts to allow for planning, reporting and estimating.
- Support bids, develop new concepts to expand MAATS product range.
- Management of the technical risk, ensuring that all risks are actioned and mitigated as required.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills at all levels of the organisation.
- Ability to provide technical leadership to junior members of the team.
- Good problem solver and objective decision maker.
- Capable of dealing with issues as they develop and solving them swiftly.
- Facilitates other team members to adapt to changing requirements.
- Ability to work in a customer facing position.
- Ability to question design decisions.
- Degree qualified (or equivalent experience) in an engineering discipline. Ideally Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status.
- Design and project management processes.
- Technical risk management
- 2D and 3D CAD (primarily AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor).
- Awareness of Health and Safety, Quality and Environmental standards and processes related to the role.
- Knowledge of offshore design codes ie DNV / Lloyds.
- Design of mechanical handling systems within harsh environments.
- Heavy steel fabrications and mechanisms.
- Delivery of high value engineering projects.
- Preparation of high quality technical documentation.
- Formal calculations, both structural and mechanical.
- Use of Finite Element Analysis packages.
- Hydraulic system design and packaging of the system.
- Working with external sub-contractors, including sub-contract draughting.
- Installation and commissioning of equipment.
- Checking and approving work of peers.
- Working within project timescales and budgets.
Job Dimensions: Lead multi-disciplinary engineering team (including sub-contractors) to deliver the equipment to the required time, cost and quality in a safe and sustainable manner.